5 years in prison for a 5 minute experience

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
As if the American prisons aren't full enough already, Florida state Rep. Mary Brandenburg has introduced a bill to make possession of salvia a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Mike Strain, who in 2005 helped Louisiana become the first to make salvia illegal, along with a number of other plants, said: "You save one child and it's worth it."

Yeah right, let's save some children...

juvenile_jail.jpg

Lawmakers mull regulating salvia, which could be new marijuana

BY JESSICA GRESKO | The Associated Press
Originally published 08:13 a.m., March 11, 2008

TALLAHASSEE — On Web sites touting the mind-blowing powers of salvia divinorum, come-ons to buy the hallucinogenic herb are accompanied by warnings: "Time is running out! ... stock up while you still can."

That's because salvia is being targeted by lawmakers concerned that the inexpensive and easy-to-obtain plant could become the next marijuana. Eight states have already placed restrictions on salvia, and 16 others, including Florida, are considering a ban or have previously.

"As soon as we make one drug illegal, kids start looking around for other drugs they can buy legally. This is just the next one," said Florida state Rep. Mary Brandenburg, who has introduced a bill to make possession of salvia a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Some say legislators are overreacting to a minor problem, but no one disputes that the plant impairs judgment and the ability to drive.

Native to Mexico and still grown there, salvia divinorum is generally smoked but can also be chewed or made into a tea and drunk.

Called nicknames like Sally-D, Magic Mint and Diviner's Sage, salvia is a hallucinogen that gives users an out-of-body sense of traveling through time and space or merging with inanimate objects. Unlike hallucinogens like LSD or PCP, however, salvia's effects last for a shorter time, generally up to an hour.

No known deaths have been attributed to salvia's use, but it was listed as a factor in one Delaware teen's suicide two years ago.

"Parents, I would say, are pretty clueless," said Jonathan Appel, an assistant professor of psychology and criminal justice at Tiffin University in Ohio who has studied the emergence of the substance. "It's much more powerful than marijuana."

Salvia's short-lasting effects and fact that it is currently legal may make it seem more appealing to teens, lawmakers say. In the Delaware suicide, the boy's mother told reporters that salvia made his mood darker but he justified its use by citing its legality. According to reports, the autopsy found no traces of the drug in his system, but the medical examiner listed it as a contributing cause.

Mike Strain, Louisiana's Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner and former legislator, helped his state in 2005 become the first to make salvia illegal, along with a number of other plants. He said the response has been largely positive.

"I got some hostile e-mails from people who sold these products," Strain said. "You don't make everybody happy when you outlaw drugs. You save one child and it's worth it."

An ounce of salvia leaves sells for around $30 on the Internet. A liquid extract from the plant, salvinorin A, is also sold in various strengths labeled "5x" through "60x." A gram of the 5x strength, about the weight of a plastic pen cap, is about $12 while 60x strength is around $65. And in some cases the extract comes in flavors including apple, strawberry and spearmint.

Web sites such as Salviadragon.com tout the product with images like a waterfall and rainbow and include testimonials like "It might sound far fetched, but I experience immortality."

Among those who believe the commotion over the drug is overblown is Rick Doblin of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, a nonprofit group that does research on psychedelic drugs and whose goal is to develop psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medication.

"I think the move to criminalize is a misguided response to a very minimal problem," Doblin said.

Doblin said salvia isn't "a party drug," "tastes terrible" and is "not going to be extremely popular." He disputes the fact teens are its main users and says older users are more likely.

"It's a minor drug in the world of psychedelics," he said.

Moreover, it's hard to say how widespread the use of salvia is. National and state surveys on drug use don't include salvia, and because it is legal in most states, law enforcement officials don't compile statistics, either.

San Diego State University last year surveyed more than 1,500 students and found that 4 percent of participants reported using salvia in the past year.

Brandenburg's bill would make salvia and its extract controlled substances in the same class as marijuana and LSD.

Florida state Sen. Evelyn Lynn, whose committee plans to study the salvia bill Tuesday, said the drug should be criminalized.

"I'd rather be at the front edge of preventing the dangers of the drug than waiting until we are the 40th or more," she said.

So sad, so twisted, not surprising. And in the name of "protecting children." You can't argue with that kind of hysterical mentality. Why not just outlaw the sale of the substance to minors if you want to protect the children, and leave adults alone to do as they wish in the privacy of their homes? Or why not ban alcohol to protect the children? Will be interesting to see what happens..

The hilarious thing is that by banning it the fools are bringing a relatively obscure and unpopular drug into the public limelight. This might just actually popularize Salvia, which until now was something the average person still didn't really know much about.

lies... idiocy... this is outrageous, I maintain my comment:

USA = mentally ill nation

They are not protecting children. They make sure they are gonna buy bad quality salvia on the black market instead. Come on, find me ONE case where salvia actually had a bad influence on someone's life. And don't bring me histories of people that suicided then after you decided it was because of salvia. We are not idiots.

"no one disputes that the plant impairs judgment and the ability to drive"

Of course. Has anyone ever drove his car while on salvia? And if so, making it illegal will keep them from doing it again for sure.

Even a 5 years old kid with schizophrenia would do better than the actual USA legislator...

Yeah lets save some children: save them from opening their minds and experiencing a higher state of conscious.

Fuck those higher powered wanna-be gov't officials. Seems to me they can't get the real upper class job they want (President) and are just taking it out on everyone else.

Salvia should be legal because YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING LIKE DRIVE A CAR, OR OPERATE MACHINERY WHILE YOU'RE ON IT BECAUSE YOU'RE TOTALY INCAPACITATED-So what the fuck is the big deal? Is the FCC just pissed and jealous that people are getting out the house and thinking for themselves now?

A good thing that they keep coming up with new ways to get in touch with other criminals and learn how to really become one yourself. You don't even have to steal or hurt anyone else, just make sure you get some salvia and you've just bought your ticket to your criminal education err I mean jale. Man, think of all the things you'll learn there in these five years, if you're just a bit smart. You've got a lot of perspectives in the criminal world when you get out. Thumbs up for law makers!

USA = mentally ill nation
I would join in the USA bashing, if I didn't see similar insanity in European and even Dutch politics. I'm in the mood for some more Christianity bashing though! :lol:

no, making salvia illegal will solve the "problem".

[x] harsher laws and capital punishment for drug dealers, just as in thailand, as it works perfectly!

today we discussed about legalisation in school. I can't believe how ANYONE can be against it, and what amout of ignorance you need to think like that. (not that they weren't convinced by my arguments, hrhr)
austria would be better off with me as dictator :D

Each variety of herb contributes a unique service to mankind - Somewhere in a genesis of the Bible.

Now go Christians. :roll:

misery, forget about austria. what about if i became president of the world, can i invite you to be my oniric and consciousness expander minister ?
or perhaps you'd like a job with more prestige, like a General Supervisor of Natality Rates ?

daytripper a dit:
misery, forget about austria. what about if i became president of the world, can i invite you to be my oniric and consciousness expander minister ?
or perhaps you'd like a job with more prestige, like a General Supervisor of Natality Rates ?
minister of consciousness expanding :D
I'm in.

but supervising natality rates? no thank you ^^

I don't want to have a fancy job like being a minister...
Just make me the guard of our own cannabis Fort Knox..!

It seems like governments are doing all they can NOT to solve the drug problems. The solution is education, they keep spreading misinformation and lies.

They don't try to save children, they actually indirectly murder hundreds of them.

And hey, if there is ever a "minister on consciousness expanding", I'm in for sure!!! :P

Just fucking ridiculous. Most people that I know that try salvia once never even have an urge to do it again. Drive a fucking car? If your fucking stupid enough to take a hit of salvia driving down the interstate you need to fucking go just off a cliff. It's infuriating living in such an ignorant community making decisions based on lies and religionists believes.
The only thing that will come of making Salvia a felony to possess is that it is going to attract more people to it saying, "Hey if they made it illegal, it HAS to be good!" So what happens when someone has some salvia growing in there garden completely oblivious as to what it is, or that it is even illegal. They are than manufacturing a controlled substance and would be just as illegal as manufacturing, lets say Marijuana or Cocaine.
My brain is lacking for words because decisions like this by the government just completely baffle me, but as said before, it is definitely not surprising.

Yet another example of fascism in the USA. The crazy thing is that the CIA control the international heroin and cocaine trade, yet these hypocrites want to ban a shamanic teacher plant that only lasts for about 10 minutes.

The only worrying thing is that other countries in the world will then ban Salvia, using the excuse that it is banned in the USA, just like has happened with ephedra and BZP. The fact that something is banned in the USA should never be used to determine whether anything should be made illegal elsewhere.

i wonder if next year they are going o ban Datura Stramonium...or Amanita
hey! how about making choccolate illegal? that makes you feel so good
why shouldn't it be illegal?
oh i forgot there's major lobbies with businness in abusing workers in southAmerica...
EDIT
can someone send me a cutting before it becomes absolutely criminalized over here? please...

PM me

I'm not sure of the Salvia laws in Norway, but if it isn't a controlled substance you should be able to go to a flower shop of some sorts and get a plant. Best of luck :)

nope
tried it
but you need a doctor's recipe to get it
and if i order it through internet customs will want to know what's in the package and if they find the salvia then they want to know to what purpose
then they make me pay a huuuuge fee
then
and then and then

but if a "friend" sends me a plant without making me pay it can be done
also because it doesn't have a market value. it becomes personal value and that's all
so please if anyone has a cutting let me knoe
plese

Dantediv86 a dit:
hey! how about making choccolate illegal? that makes you feel so good
why shouldn't it be illegal?

there would major riots on the streets. it would be intereseting though.

this has a bit of a recurring theme. somebody finds a new drug, it becomes popular, it is made illegal. because of that, somebody seeks for and finds another new drug, etc. etc.

don't think they would manifest....
over here they would if that happened to coffee
omg we have coffee everywhere here
even in churches, no joke.

Retour