Plant can't think, or remember... persay... [SciAm]

• Auteur de la discussion Auteur de la discussion IJesusChrist
  • Date de début Date de début

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
The story maintains that, according to the study, stimulating one leaf cell with light creates a cascade of electrochemical events across the entire plant, communicated via specialized cells called bundle-sheath cells just as electrical impulses are propagated along the nerve cells in the nervous system of an animal. The researchers found that these reactions continued several hours later, even in the dark, which they interpreted to indicate a kind of memory.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=plants-cannot-think-and-remember-bu-2010-07-16

Good example of some impulses plants can use (basic compared to animals, yes, but a very profound adaptation in evolution!):
[youtube]Zq3UuHlPLQU[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing, this article is interessting :)

It's been a long time I'm reading and thinking about plants' "intellligence" (wrong word yes, but I mean "informations transmission , and response" ) ... (especially but not only in the case of "teaching plants" like those who make Ayahuasca)

edit: I like this comment on your link :
Since we really don't understand the mechanisms of human thought or memory, it is neither incorrect nor correct to say that plants think and remember. The conclusion we might draw from the data at this point is: plants seem to exhibit traits that we would call cognitive when compared with the traits of human perception. And regrettably, I have known many people who seem less intelligent (less cognitively sophisticated) than plants.

Possibly plants hold some clues as to how our thought process and memory process work.

Yeah, I'm convinced that evolution can be driven psychologically...

What I mean by that is, stimuli from the external world can alter either an organisms DNA, or that stimuli can change what dna (sperm / egg) gets passed on to reproduction...

Applying this to plants is fairly interesting since we see them as purely cause and effect organisms, unable to control their own regulatory patterns...

I once asked my professor at school if the DNA of one can change during its life, it does, of course

there is the same kind of "unsconscious intelligence" in the human (when you consider the whole humanity), noone really knows what we -as the Humans- are working for).

yourownworld a dit:
I once asked my professor at school if the DNA of one can change during its life, it does, of course

there is the same kind of "unsconscious intelligence" in the human (when you consider the whole humanity), noone really knows what we -as the Humans- are working for).

Interesting! I asked my biology teacher the same thing - can DNA be manipulated via neurology. He said he didn't know any specific examples, but he eluded to something else, where DNA does change...

I of that as an extremely important insight in evolutionary biology, as well as how important and powerful our minds are.

"Interesting! I asked my biology teacher the same thing - can DNA be manipulated via neurology. He said he didn't know any specific examples, but he eluded to something else, where DNA does change..."

what do you mean by that, or rather, where does it change? you're very vague there... also it's "alluded", as in my name, allusion. :P i elude the police :mrgreen:

I asked my bio teacher if experiences in life can manipulate or change one's DNA via neurology. He said he couldn't think of any process, but that he remembered hearing about some situations where someone's DNA can change in their life time, but didn't concern neurology, and also that there are plenty of people out there with more than one set of genes, i.e. their feet have different DNA than their hands would regaurding skin's DNA sequence.

My question was more towards, can one change his own DNA intentionally, but his answer was more towards can one's DNA change [at all].

IJC well done mate.

could the plant change color IJC.
Do you think THE plant IS happy.

Are you willing to perform tests. to further prove this.

IJC make it turn red.

Maby sound or pulse waves or .

change it's water nutrition or light source..

wow!!!!!!

that was so responsive,

I'm gonna buy a plant.

overview of a study (more details about where the study was done inside)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ation.html

"'Mutations in DNA caused by, for example, cigarette smoke are passed on to every subsequent generation of daughter cells, a permanent record of the damage done."

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/9/259

"The expression of several detoxification genes was commonly altered by smoking in all three respiratory epithelial tissues, suggesting a common airway-wide response to tobacco exposure."

There are many substances that damage DNA - it is one of the causes of some types of cancer.

Many organic chemicals that are synthetic, especially now days with so many prescriptions, that can alter (damage) dna.

Who knows though if this is a natural process that evolution has relied on (chemicals in fruits may do the same thing?). We don't know yet. We only have studied "bad" chemicals and labelled it as "damage" and not "change".

Retour