Malaysia...

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Drug trafficker to hang

SHAH ALAM: The High Court yesterday sentenced to death
a man from Aceh for trafficking in 491g of ganja in 2006.

Teuku Nawardin Syamsuar, 32, unemployed, was found guilty
of committing the offence in front of the AS Logistics
Sdn Bhd factory in Jalan Teluk Kapas, Rantau Panjang, Klang,
at 8.45pm on Oct 9.

Police found the drugs in a pocket of his trousers.

Teuku Nawardin showed no emotion when sentence was
passed by judge Datuk Syed Ahmad Helmy Syed Ahmad.

Malaysia%20Truely%20Asia.jpg

:cry:

abs-cbnNEWS.com | 01/09/2009 12:18 PM

"Death penalty won't solve drug menace"

The Philippines - A dysfunctional judicial system and a weak police force are among the reasons for the growing drug menace in the country, a bishop said Friday as he reiterated the Catholic Church's strong opposition to death penalty.

"The problem in our country is a dysfunctional judicial system and also a very weak police force application. The drug traffickers escape because our judicial system is not working and our police agencies are not equipped to deal with crimes like these," Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Oscar Cruz told ABS-CBN's morning show, "Umagang Kay Ganda."

Cruz was reacting to Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri's proposal to reinstate death penalty against convicted drug traffickers and multiple murderers.

Zubiri came up with the proposal amid the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency's (PDEA) verbal encounter against rich families of the so-called "Alabang Boys."

The senator said death penalty has been proven as an effective drugs and crime deterrent. He said drug syndicates' activities in Malaysia and Saudi Arabia are slowly being confined by the authorities because of the fearsome death penalty.

"In Malaysia, death by hanging and in Saudi Arabia, death by guillotine... Ask overseas Filipino workers. However bad they are in the Philippines, they become good in Saudi and Malaysia because they know that if you steal something, your hands will be cut and if you commit rape, you will be beheaded," he said.

He added: "They abide by the law because they are afraid of being severely punished."

Cruz, however, said that if death penalty is really effective, it should have been made a universal law and zero heinous crimes should be recorded in all countries that are implementing the punishment.

The PDEA and the Dangerous Drugs Board on Thursday asked lawmakers to reinstate death penalty as they revealed latest data that indicate the Philippines has become the No. 1 drug country in Southeast Asia.

PDEA agent, Marines Major Ferdinand Marcelino, who led a team that arrested the Alabang Boys, had said that some officials of the Department of Justice (DOJ) could have taken millions of bribe money from one of the suspects' rich relatives.

The DOJ has issued a resolution ordering the release of the Alabang Boys -- Richard Brodette, Joseph Tecson, and Jorge Jordana Joseph -- and the dismissal of the drug complaint filed against them by the PDEA.

The PDEA, however, contested the resolution citing a DOJ memorandum circular that says cases involving heinous crimes should go through an automatic review by the DOJ secretary before its implementation.

DOJ Secretary Raul Gonzalez had promised during an inquiry in the House of Representatives last Wednesday to finish the review in 10 days.

Yes I've been there.. death penalty for use and possesion of smallest amounts of everything I think.. I was shocked by all the signs everywhere, at airports and stuff. And I was glad I didn't take any ganja myself, I mean my dad warned me about this death penalty but I actually really thought he was bluffing
Btw I did see people in Malaysia one time smoking hasj openly on the street sitting down against a building but that could have been coincedence :P

Crazy, killing people that have done nobody any harm whatsoever. It shows that our world in many aspects is still a very primitive place.

I once talked with a man from Bali.

He said that with every dose that a drug smuggler posesses he is counted as killing one man, as he is (obviously) destroying a life (symbolically) by selling one dose. So a man that posesses 10 doses has killed 10 people....

yes, sad indeed.

Funny that they smoke so much in bali and malaysia though .

Retour