Happy birthday Albert Hofmann!

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
It was 102 years ago, on January 11 1906, in Baden, Switzerland, that this great soul took birth. Let us celebrate this glorious day in history! :D

Read all about this extraordinary person here.

Dr. Albert Hofmann (born January 11 1906) is a prominent Swiss scientist best known as the "father of LSD." He was born in Baden, Switzerland, and studied chemistry at the University of Zürich. His main interest was the chemistry of plants and animals, and he later conducted important research regarding the chemical structure of the common animal substance chitin, for which he received his doctorate. Hofmann joined the pharmaceutical-chemical department of Sandoz Laboratories (now Novartis), located in Basel, studying the medicinal plant squill and the fungus ergot as part of a program to purify and synthesize active constituents for use as pharmaceuticals.

hofmann25b.jpg

Biography

His research in lysergic acid, the central shared component of ergot alkaloids, eventually led to the synthesis of LSD-25 in 1938. It was five years later, on repeating synthesis of the almost forgotten substance, that Dr. Hofmann discovered the psychedelic effects of LSD after accidentally absorbing some through his fingertips on April 16 1943. Three days later, on April 19 (later known as Bicycle Day, after his bicycle ride home that day while under LSD's influence), Hofmann deliberately consumed 250 micrograms of LSD, and experienced far more intense effects (see: LSD for details). This was followed by a series of self-experiments conducted by Hofmann and his colleagues. He first wrote about these experiments on April 22 of the same year.

alex-grey-albert-hofmann.jpg

He became director of the natural products department at Sandoz and went on studying hallucinogenic substances found in Mexican mushrooms and other plants used by the aboriginal people. This led to the synthesis of psilocybin, the active agent of many "magic mushrooms." Hofmann also became interested in the seeds of the Mexican morning glory species Rivea corymbosa, the seeds of which are called Ololiuhqui by the natives. He was surprised to find the active compound of Ololiuhqui, ergine (lysergic acid amide), to be closely related to LSD.

In 1962, he and his wife Anita traveled to southern Mexico to search for the plant "Ska Maria Pastora" (Leaves of Mary the Shepherdess), later known as Salvia divinorum. He was able to obtain samples of this plant but never succeeded in identifying its active chemicals.

He calls LSD "medicine for the soul" and is frustrated by the worldwide prohibition that has pushed it underground. "It was used very successfully for 10 years in psychoanalysis," he said, adding that the drug was hijacked by the youth movement of the 1960s and then unfairly demonized by the establishment that the movement opposed. He concedes LSD can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

He has been the author of over 100 scientific articles and has written (or co-written) a number of books, including LSD, My Problem Child, which is partly an autobiography and describes his famous bicycle ride.

On the occasion of his 100th birthday on January 11, 2006, he was the focus of an international symposium, which drew further media attention for his discovery of LSD.

"I think that in human evolution it has never been as necessary to have this substance LSD," said Hofmann. "It is just a tool to turn us into what we are supposed to be."

Happy Birthday Al :D

I noticed the auspicious effects of this day when my landlord visited me in my store today, and spontaneously offered to lower the rent by 175 euros! :shock: :D

And the first episode of the new season of Southpark will be shown on TV within an hour. It can't get any better than this! :lol:

happy birthday!!!!!!!!!perhaps this is the best proof that LSD does not cause long term problems ?

Happy Birthday Hofmann. It is also my brothers birthday today, just figuring out that he has the same birthday as Hofmann! :D

Happy Birthday Albert. *bows* A real capricorn. 8)

Like me, only two days seperated.

daytripper a dit:
happy birthday!!!!!!!!!perhaps this is the best proof that LSD does not cause long term problems ?

He devotes his old age to consuming two eggs and Swiss Oat meal in the morning.

I'm an employee of Sandoz, have access to the internal scan of Novartis and there was an interview with him when he turned 100. ( December 2005)

This monday I'll try to catch it and post it here, if I'm allowed to do so.

Hahaha, we actually have someone working at Sandoz here!
Figures.... :mrgreen:

The centenarian Albert Hofmann
11-Jan-2006

As Albert Hofmann celebrates his hundredth birthday, Novartis News Center reviews the diverse career and lasting achievements of the world-renowned former Sandoz chemist who discovered (among other things) the hallucinogenic drug LSD.

In 1995 Hofmann visited former Sandoz colleagues in the laboratory
Photo: Jiri ZadrobilekWhile Albert Hofmann is well known for his discovery of the drug LSD, this was only one of the many milestones in the long and successful career of the man who worked as a chemist at Sandoz until his retirement in 1971. In the first half of the twentieth century, he made a vital contribution to the development of Sandoz’s pharmaceutical division, researching and developing innovative compounds that permitted major advances in medicine and were highly successful drugs. To this day, the success of certain new Novartis products can be partly attributed to Hofmann’s work. On January 11, 2006, he celebrates his 100th birthday, health, at his home in Burg (Baselland canton, Switzerland).

Ergot alkaloid research

In 1917, after an extremely profitable business year, the Board of Directors of Sandoz AG – a company that until then had operated exclusively in the dyestuffs sector – decided to diversify into the pharmaceutical business. The chemist appointed to establish the new unit was Arthur Stoll, who at that time was the assistant of the future Nobel laureate Professor Richard Willstätter.

In 1918, Stoll began working on ergot (Claviceps purpurea, a fungus that infects rye), from which he successfully isolated and purified a crystalline powder. He called this active principle ergotamine. Introduced as Gynergen, it proved to be a valuable agent, in low doses, for controlling bleeding after childbirth and for the treatment of migraine.

One of the first chemists employed in Stoll’s new Natural Products group at Sandoz was Albert Hofmann. Using lysergic acid as the starting material, Hofmann successfully undertook the partial synthesis of another ergot alkaloid – ergometrine. When a methyl group was added to this compound, the resultant derivative proved to have even more specific effects. Marketed as Methergine, it became the leading product for controlling postpartum bleeding.

Hofmann prepared another semisynthetic ergot derivative, in the hope that the substance would have analeptic properties (i.e. circulatory and respiratory stimulation). He was aware that Ciba already had a well-established analeptic product – nicotinic acid diethylamide (Coramine) – on the market. As there was some similarity between the ring system of lysergic acid and the nicotinic acid ring, Hofmann expected to obtain analeptic effects with lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD).

A “highly gifted

Retour