Freenet 0.7 released !

• Auteur de la discussion Auteur de la discussion Guest
  • Date de début Date de début
G

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"

Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Freenet 0.7 has been released, for people who don't know about this software yet, I strongly recommend the reading of the following link :

http://freenetproject.org/whatis.html

Might come in handy for some of you guys, and for all of us should the internet become more & more controlled and watched over.

title.gif

wow this sounds nice!

I just installed it, doesn't seem to work right now :retard:
I hope I can get it running, sounds interesting.

Can't we add the favourites from firefox to freenet?

It seems that I can't access to firefox anymore. Whenever I click on the firefox icon, it opens freenet browser.

I have installed it and it works. But how exactly is it safer? If I use the freenet browser to go to a site that can tell my IP adress it knows my IP and internet provider. I'm a noob concerning networking, but if a site can get my IP, cops can too... right?

Meduzz a dit:
I have installed it and it works. But how exactly is it safer? If I use the freenet browser to go to a site that can tell my IP adress it knows my IP and internet provider. I'm a noob concerning networking, but if a site can get my IP, cops can too... right?

Read the doc ;)

You should always connect to someone you already know and trust.

There are two ways to connect to Freenet:

You can enable insecure mode (the installation wizard will ask you) and Freenet will automatically find nodes to connect to - Strangers.
You can connect to nodes run by people you know - Friends. Note that these should be people you actually know on some level, in order to maintain good network topology and maximum security.
In practice, you should probably use both of these options, unless you are really paranoid, in which case you should of course only connect to people you trust. Insecure mode should work automatically once enabled, so the rest of this page is about connecting to Friends.

So if you connect to say 3 friends, then you can't browse "normal webpages" but it would be like a virtual private network right?

random a dit:
Can't we add the favourites from firefox to freenet?

Go to the folder "bookmarkbackups" in your freenet installation directory.

Retour