Five Savannah Teenagers Overdose on Cough Medicine

• Auteur de la discussion Auteur de la discussion UTHTURN
  • Date de début Date de début

UTHTURN

Elfe Mécanique
It's something you probably have around the house, but drug agents are trying to keep young people from abusing a common cough medicine; and it's had some dangerous consequences.

Police say in the last week or so, they've had at least five students overdose on Coricidin Cough and Cold at school, so they want this off-the-shelf product behind the counter from now on.

Take as directed, and you'll cure a cough. Take too many, and it's a clear cut case of abuse.

"Instead of one pill every four or five hours, they'll be taking a dozen pills all at one time, which causes their overdose," explained Capt. Paul McBurney with the Chatham-Savannah Counter Narcotics Team.

Coricidin, or "Skittles" as the pills are called because of their obvious resemblance to the candy, is growing in popularity around schools. Kids have zeroed in on this one brand, because of its large dosage of the active ingredient: dextromethorphan. Most adults, though, have never heard of it being abused.

"Interesting enough, I haven't," said Buddy Carter, a pharmacist in Pooler. "It's one of those that--dextromethorphan has been around for years--it's one of the most common, if not the most common over-the-counter cough suppressant that we have."

In the last week alone, five high schoolers in Savannah have overdosed on it, though. That's why police are asking pharmacies to put Coricidin behind the counter, where kids can't steal it.

"Instead of just being able to pop the pills out of the pack or stick a pack in their pocket and walk out the store with it, at least they would have to look a pharmacist or sales person in the eye and ask for it," said McBurney.

Carter agreed, it would help: "When you can monitor it, then it makes it so much easier to be able to control it."

Part of the reason for this new trend is the internet: teenagers pass information along as quickly as their DSL line can move.

"Parents need to monitor their activities," said McBurney. "Because that's where they're getting a lot of the information from, is the computer."

Police say they're grateful none of the teenagers who had to go to the hospital have died, and they're hoping those cases serve as a warning to other children about what can happen if you abuse any medication.
http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5660093
Reported by: Chris Cowperthwaite, [email protected]

Can't say that I disagree with taking those in the back of the shop...

...hell, why I should be the only one who's going to receive a suspicious/disaproving/sarcastic every time I ask for a pack of DXM pills...

My my, those kids nowadays... If they knew what such an ol', 19 years old, timer as me had to endure... The rats...

hell, why I should be the only one who's going to receive a suspicious/disaproving/sarcastic every time I ask for a pack of DXM pills

Agree with you :twisted:

I still remember the grin my pharmacian did when i asked him a 250 ml of sirrup instead the 125 he wanted to sell me (cough a lot then...) :roll:

Retour