DRUGS: THE REAL DEAL

• Auteur de la discussion Auteur de la discussion Jakobien
  • Date de début Date de début

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
This is the first ranking based upon scientific evidence of harm to both individuals and society.
It was devised by government advisers - then ignored by ministers because of its controversial findings

1: Heroin ( Class A ) ORIGIN: Vast majority comes from poppy fields of Afghanistan MEDICAL: Sedative made from the opium poppy.
Can be smoked or injected to produce a 'rush'. Users feel lethargic but experience severe cravings for the drug NO. OF UK USERS: 40,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 744 STREET VALUE: UKP30-100 a gram DANGER RATING: 2.75/3

2: Cocaine ( Class A ) ORIGIN: Made from coca shrubs from Colombia and Bolivia MEDICAL: Stimulant made from leaves of the coca bush. Increases alertness and confidence but raises heart rate and blood pressure and users will crave it NO. OF UK USERS: 800,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 147 STREET VALUE: UKP30-55 a gram DANGER RATING: 2.25/3

3: Barbiturates ( Class B ) ORIGIN: Synthetic lab-made drugs, used to be prominent in clubs MEDICAL:Powerful sedatives.
Widely prescribed as sleeping pills but dangerous in overdose and now superseded by safer drugs NO. OF UK USERS: Not many NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 14 STREET VALUE: UKP1-2 a tablet DANGER RATING: 2.10/3

4: Street Methadone ( Class A ) ORIGIN: Synthetic drug similar to heroin but less addictive MEDICAL: Similar to morphine and heroin and used to wean addicts off these drugs because it is less sedating.
Street versions may be contaminated NO. OF UK USERS: 20,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 200 STREET VALUE: UKP2 a dose DANGER RATING: 1.90/3

5: Alcohol ( Legal ) ORIGIN: Brewed across the world in many different forms MEDICAL:Central nervous system depressant used to reduce inhibitions and increase sociability. Increasing doses lead to intoxication, coma and respiratory failure NO. OF UK USERS: Most adults NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 22,000 STREET VALUE: UKP2.25 pint of lager DANGER RATING: 1.85/3

6: Ketamine ( Class C ) ORIGIN: Anaesthetic drug popular on club and rave scene MEDICAL:Intravenous anaesthetic used on humans and animals which, when taken in tablet form, creates hallucinatory experiences NO. OF UK USERS: Unknown NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: UKP15-50 a gram DANGER RATING: 1.80/3

7: Benzodiazopines ( Class C ) ORIGIN: Tranquilisers used to beat anxiety and insomnia MEDICAL:The most common prescription tranquillisers. Effective sedatives which have a calming effect, reducing anxiety, but are addictive NO. OF UK USERS: 160,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 206 STREET VALUE: Prescription drug DANGER RATING: 1.75/3

8: Amphetamines ( Class B ) ORIGIN: Synthetic stimulants snorted, mixed in drink or injected MEDICAL:Man-made drugs that increase heart rate and alertness.
Users may feel paranoid.

Newer form, methamphetamine, is addictive NO. OF UK USERS: 650,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 33 STREET VALUE: UKP2-10 a gram DANGER RATING: 1.70/3

9: Tobacco ( Legal ) ORIGIN: Most of the leaf comes from the Americas MEDICAL: Contains nicotine, a fast-acting stimulant which is highly addictive. Tobacco causes lung cancer and increases the risk of heart disease NO. OF UK USERS: 12.5m NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 114,000 STREET VALUE: UKP4.50 a packet DANGER RATING: 1.65/3

10: Buprenorphine ( Class C ) ORIGIN: Can be made in a laboratory MEDICAL: More expensive alternative to methadone used to wean addicts off heroin. Preferred by some addicts because it leaves them more 'clear headed' NO. OF UK USERS: Unknown NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: Unknown DANGER RATING: 1.55/3

11: Cannabis ( Class C ) ORIGIN: Plant is easily cultivated in temperate climates MEDICAL: Leaves of the cannabis sativa plant or resin can be smoked or eaten. It is a relaxant but stronger forms can also cause hallucinations and panic attacks NO. OF UK USERS: 3m NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 16 UKP40-100 an ounce DANGER RATING: 1.40/3

12: Solvents ( Legal ) ORIGIN: Organic compounds found in glues, paints, lighter fluid MEDICAL: Includes glue, gas lighters, some aerosols and paint thinners. Produces euphoria and loss of inhibitions but can cause blackouts and death NO. OF UK USERS: 37,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 53 STREET VALUE: UKP9.99 a tin of paint DANGER RATING: 1.35/3

13: 4-MTA ( Class A ) ORIGIN: Amphetamine derivative; similar effects to ecstasy MEDICAL: Amphetamine derivative, similar to ecstasy, and also known as 'flatliners'. Popular dance drug, producing feelings of euphoria NO. OF UK USERS: Unknown NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: Unknown DANGER RATING: 1.30/3

14: LSD ( Class A ) ORIGIN: Hallucinogenic, synthetic drug more popular in 1960s MEDICAL: Man-made drug that has a strong effect on perception. Effects include hallucinations and loss of sense of time. A 'bad trip' can cause anxiety NO. OF UK USERS: 70,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: UKP1-5 a tab DANGER RATING: 1.25/3

15: Methylphenidate ( Class B ) ORIGIN: Medicine, similar to amphetamines MEDICAL: The chemical name for Ritalin, the stimulant drug used to treat children with attention deficit hyperactive disorder which helps them concentrate NO. OF UK USERS: Unknown NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: Unknown DANGER RATING: 1.20/3

16: Anabolic Steroids ( Class C ) ORIGIN: Hormones used by bodybuilders and sportsmen MEDICAL: Synthetic drugs that have a similar effect to hormones such as testosterone. Used by body builders to increase muscle bulk NO. OF UK USERS: 38,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: UKP7.99 a tablet DANGER RATING: 1.15/3

17: GHB ( Class C ) ORIGIN: Synthetic drug, sold as 'liquid ecstasy' MEDICAL: The date rape drug, Gammahydroxybutyrate, is a sedative that has a relaxing effect, reducing inhibitions, but can lead to stiff muscles and fits NO. OF UK USERS: Not many NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 3 STREET VALUE: UKP15 a bottle DANGER RATING: 1.10/3

18: Ecstasy ( Class A ) ORIGIN: Synthetic drug in tablets; popular in dance scene MEDICAL: MDMA or similar man-made chemicals.
Causes adrenaline rushes and feelings of wellbeing but also anxiety and high body temperature NO. OF UK USERS: 800,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: 33 STREET VALUE: UKP1-5 a pill DANGER RATING: 1.05/3

19: Alkyl Nitrites ( Legal ) ORIGIN: Liquid, better known as 'poppers'; inhaled MEDICAL: Gives a strong, joyous rush and a burst of energy for a few minutes which quickly fades and can leave a powerful headache NO. OF UK USERS: 550,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: N/A STREET VALUE: UKP2-6 for 10ml DANGER RATING: 0.95/3

20: Khat ( Legal ) ORIGIN: Green-leaf shrub grown in region of Southern Africa MEDICAL: Natural stimulant, its leaves are chewed to produce a feeling of wellbeing and happiness.
Popular with the Somali community NO. OF UK USERS: 40,000 NO. OF UK DEATHS IN 2004: Not many STREET VALUE: UKP4 a bunch DANGER RATING: 0.80/3

Source: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v06/n1005/a06.html
Copyright: 2006 Independent Newspapers (UK) Ltd.

Any info on how this "danger rating" is resolved?

Have you got some official source, by that I mean link?

The rating is apparently a measure of the substa nce's potential to cause harm to the individual as well as the society.

That's why solvents are ranked less harmful than cannabis. The reasoning is that the prevalence of solvent use is so marginal that the harm to society is small compared to that of cannabis.

The list is slightly skewed imho. It seems the perceived harm to society has been weighted more than the proven or even perceived harm to the individual.
Solvents can kill instantly so they should be listed as more harmful as cannabis, for example.
The societal harm works for some (mostly the severely addicting and potentially lethal ones such as heroin) but fails at the other end of the scale for the non-lethal substances.

Spidi a dit:
Have you got some official source, by that I mean link?

Done, unfortunately no direct link.

And true, i wonder about the danger rating...what would it be based on exactly? :roll:

I read it again and I think its a bunch of bullshit in the way that harm to society is not caused by the drugs itself but by the law against them.

If you are a kid and live in France and smoke weed, there is a chance you will be put in jail. Result is you miss school, miss opportunities and have a bigger chance to end up at the 'wrong' side of society.

Alcohol is a different story, you can relate alcohol directly to a number of deaths in any given country (traffic, violence etc..).

Heroin is very high on the list. The funny thing is that if you have a clean source of heroin and administer it with a medical sense (clean syringes and all), it is much less destructive on your body than alcohol is (Jonathan Ott - Pharmacotheon).

Heroin hurts society but not in the way that we may initially think. The problem is once more the law against it. Heroin junkies cause problems because they have to score an illegal substance on a daily basis. This is the problem, we make laws that prohibit heroin effectively making criminals of sick people causing crimenumbers to rise in certain areas and then we blame the junkies for it.

A few years back there was an experiment with heroin addicts in Holland. A small group of addicts was given a daily supply of heroin and they received support also. This was recorderd in a documentary. Very interesting to see how at the start of the doc, the entire group is a stereotype group of junkies. They are shit, look like shit, talk like shit.

Then after only three weeks of this experiment, the group was displayed again and litereally unrecognisable. Because their primary activity, scoring dope, had become obsolete, most of these people where able to create decent lives for themselves. Some of them already found a job, some found a home, some other decided to finally go into a drugprogram and become healty.

This group stopped being a problem for society.

I hope I get across what I mean ;)

So, Benzodiazepines are more harmful than Speed and even Meth?
Speed has a massive addiction potential (for me personally more than alcohol because I could easily use it in the morning before work, I couldn't do that with alcohol). Very weird "danger ratings" ... imho

Also "Newer form, methamphetamine, is addictive" - so I don't have to worry about normal amphetamines, they ain't addictive at all? So Millions of Americans in the 50ies weren't addicted to ampetamine? Well they just took it on a daily basis, they weren't addicts, like about everyone who drinks alcohol on a daily basis because "beer tastes so good". LOL

Reminds me of something a friend's friends cousin's brother (LOL) has said (I don't know who it was, but somebody told me somebody else said this - doesn't matter who, you could apply it to lots of people):
"I am not an alcoholic, but when I don't have a beer before lunch then lunch tastes bad, and when lunch tastes bad then the whole day is gonna be shitty."

Retour